Wednesday 12 August 2015

Welcome to the blog!

 Hello and welcome to "The balance of power". This is a blog dealing with various topics relating to international affairs and global politics. The title of this blog reflects my commitment to the principles of the "realist" tradition of foreign policy, stretching back to 18th and 19th century figures such as Pitt and Metternich, and continuing through key 20th century figures (eg. Kennon and Kissinger) to the present day, when this tradition is represented by such key contempory foreign policy figures as Mearsheimer and Carpenter. According to this school of thought, the only way to avoid endless and unproductive conflict is for various states to recognize each other's key interests, without any one state aspiring to hegemonic power. I believe that this tradition holds the key to the wise management and possible resolution of many of the conflicts that affect the contemporary world. My four main areas of interest are the expansion of Chinese influence, especially in Southeast Asia, the tensions and periodic flare-ups in post-communist Eastern Europe, the expansion of Iran's influence in the Middle East and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
To introduce myself a little, I am currently working as an English teacher in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I am hoping to begin a graduate program in International Affairs next year. I have been interested in politics since I was a teenager, when I began to get involved by campaigning for the Conservative Party of Canada (a party which, despite deep reservations about aspects of its foreign policy, I continue to support, primarily because of domestic policy issues). I love to travel, and enjoy sightseeing and visiting historic sites.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan,
    I accidentally found your blog and found some similar viewpoints. Therefore, I want to follow your blog and learn from your writing.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete